Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Letter from Elder Greer August 22, 2009

Dear Mom (and rest of family :)

Hola Familia! Como estan? We haven't had any Spanish training or anything yet, but it's been spoken pretty often, and I'm surprised at how easily the words come to mind when I want to say something. It's pretty neat. I love it here. The spirit is so strong and everyone seems friendly and happy all the time.

Mom, I know you'll want a step-by-step replay of my first day. So here is is: First, you dropped me off. Then I walked into the building. And then I walked down the hallway.... - okay, I'll skip to the main points. My host took me around an gave me a basic orientation. I got some pakets of info and my name tag (very cool), and went to the bookstore for my books. We got some pretty cool stuff - Bible / Book of Mormon / D&C / Pearl of Great Price - all in Spanish.

I found my room and met my companion (Elder Ostergaard, from Michigan). My other roommates are from Wyoming and St. George. My companion is also going to Tuxtla Gutierrez, while the other two are going to Merida (Mexico) and Portland, Oregon - both spanish-speaking.

We're all in the intermediate class for spanish (for now, anyway). I'm not sure about my departure date, but I'll let you know. The food here is delicious - but not as good as yours, Mom! (can you tell they gave us suggestions of what to say to our moms in our first letter? heh). We are separated into a 'branch" of 70 missionaries. Our branch president is Pres. Sanchez, from Lindon, Utah.

I got a notice saying I have a package waiting - from one of you, maybe? - but I can't pick it up until tomorrow. Just one more thing to look forward to!

Like I said, I really love it here. I am exhausted, but it's great. I'm so excited to start studying and teaching. I wanted to thank everyone for the letters you gave me when you dropped me off. I just read them all, and I know I'll read them again a lot. (I liked Nikka's best, especially her paw print - ha)

Anyway, I should finish unpacking and get to bed. I'm beat. I look forward to your letters, and I'll be able to email you on Tuesday. I'll let you know more about life here then. I love you all very much. I'll be praying for everyone.
Con Amor,
Elder Greer
P.S. tell Reagan "ohhh shooo" ha.



No comments:

Post a Comment